Thursday 22 December 2011

Happy Winter Solstice

I have made it. Although today is the official start of winter and I have many more months of cold and gloomy weather to look forward to there is a silver lining to the gloomy cloud. Today is the shortest day of the year. Starting tomorrow the sunsets will get progressively later and will be much appreciated. As Floridian and self diagnosed seasonal affective disorder sufferer even an increase of a minute of sunshine a day will be noticed. I have discussed with my husband on our last year in the UK going to Stonehenge for the winter solstice so I can stick my tongue out at winter (figuratively, don't want it to get too cold lol) and let it know that it has not nor will it beat me, especially as we are moving to Florida lol.

The weather in North Yorkshire has been especially beautiful today. I know from growing up in Western PA that winter is long and although the days are getting longer it does not mean they are getting warmer. So I took full advantage of the mild weather and went for a walk along the river (check out my pictures on instagram) and collected some twigs, seeds, berries, and buds for our Christmas arrangements.

I suppose that is enough play time as I must continue baking and getting ready for the weekend!

Here are a few pictures of our lovely day, baking pictures soon to follow!

(my spoils, our pampas grass, and a lady bug that has waken from hibernation)

Happy Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment