Friday 10 February 2012

100 and counting...

For my 100th post I thought I should do something to commemorate it. What I came up with wasn't all that impressive, but here it is.

I realized in the nearly 2 years I have been "living" in the UK I haven't been writing often enough. I hope this upcoming year will bring more writing, if not daily, then at least 3 times a week. I will also be starting a new series of posts called "Wild Wednesdays". Each Wednesday I will go back to my college roots and talk about either a wild flower or critter endemic to England that I have encountered during my residency here.

As I look back on my move to England I have had some ups and downs. I have spent 17 weeks away from my husband due to visa issues, but on the other hand, we have spent nearly 80 weeks together. When we first met we were only spending a week or 2 together at a time, now we are only on separate continents minimally. What a difference that can make, I love hearing "honey, I'm home" and not shouting it through the computer.

I have lost a few people very close to me. It was especially difficult not going back to the States for funeral services or to be with my family. On the up side, I know these people are watching over me. I think about how much the world has changed over the lifetime of my grandfather, from writing letters or sending telegraphs to using Skype to catch up. What an amazing life he had, I hope to live as long as he did, 92ish (we had 3 different birth years for him).

I have not only lost, I have met and made friends with a number of new people. They will not replace the friends who have passed, but help get through the hard times. I count myself lucky to have them.

Finally, looking back at the places I have been. I had an opportunity to visit Europe in my teens, unfortunately the orchestra program did not raise enough funds and the trip fell through. I was very disappointed at the time, but I have seen far more than I could have ever imagined during a 2 week whirlwind tour. I am also at a much better age to appreciate what I've had the opportunity to experience.

And let's not forget the weather! After 15 years in Florida I never thought I could tolerate a temperate climate. Well, armed with my happy lamp, plenty of chocolate, and a few blankets, I am hanging in there. A few strategically scheduled holidays during especially gloomy months doesn't hurt either!

So here's to another 100 posts filled with trials, tribulations, celebrations, and travel.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment