Monday 11 March 2013

AmSub Grub: Oatmeal Bakes

Those of you who know me know I have a sweet tooth, I love to bake, and like to have fast food around the house to grab and eat as I go.  Just before we went to Portugal I was seriously craving chocolate chip dried cranberry scones based on this recipe by the American Cupcake in London. They are delicious, but I was trying to be healthy and looked for a different option. Though I had seen oatmeal bakes on pinterest in several different forms, but none of them seemed quite right.  I wanted something portable (to take to the airport in the morning with us).  I also wanted something low in fat and sugar, that I would not feel guilty about eating but also to hit my sweet tooth cravings.  After surfing numerous recipes, I came up with my own:

2 cups oats
2 bananas mashed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1/2 cup whole wheate flour
2 Tablespoons ground almonds
1 cup milk (semi-skimmed/2%)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons applebutter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts

This was a TOTAL experiment and they turned out really goood.  I started with bananas and eggs then added other ingredients in as I went.  I was so surprised the worked (mostly).  After mixing everything together, I placed in cupcake liners and baked them for about 25 minutes at 350 F (170 C), check them at approximately 18-22 minutes to see if they are done by placing a toothpick in and making sure it comes out clean, you don't want an under or over cooked muffin.  

They tasted great, they were not too dense, hit my sweet tooth with just enough chocolate and dried cranberries, there was only one problem.  There was so little fat in them that they stuck in the paper liners.  They tasted so good though, we peeled off as much as we could and figured a little extra ruffage wouldn't hurt us.  Next time I make them I will try them in a silicone baking tray with no liners.  

I can't believe I don't have any pictures of the finished product!  That is so not like me, between the iPad and my camera, I have pictures of everything in my life lol.

I hope you try them anyway, send in your pictures if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment